1 Fully Equipped Kitchen
High-Speed Wi-Fi Connection
The Villa has a total surface of 270 sq.m and it is situated on the centre of Spetses Island. It features the traditional architecture consisting in a mixture of 18th, 19th and early 20th century architectural style, testifying the cultural and economic development and wealth of the island during those years, when it used to be, along with the island of Hydra, one of the largest marine and industrial powers.
The Villa consists of two levels. On the first level there is one bedroom with double bed. There is also one bathroom, a dining room and a big sitting room with a fire place and a kitchen. Moreover the ground floor has access to a very beautiful patio offering total privacy and peace with flowers, orange and lemon trees. In addition there is a large built barbeque. In the patio you will also find a refrigerator and one bathroom with shower full equipped.
The second level has a hall and two large bedrooms. Both bedrooms are surrounded by two big balconies. Both bedrooms have double beds and double private bathrooms. One of the two bedrooms has also a fireplace. The two levels are connected by a stair that is situated inside the house. In addition the second level can also be reached by an outside stair that is located next to the main entrance of the house.
The house is situated between the characteristic centre of Spetses (Dapia), the old harbor and just opposite the St. Nicholas Spetses Cathedral. Two supermarkets are located near the house (50 meters) for any purchases you may need during your stay. The use of cars is prohibited in the island. That is why at short distance from the house you will find plenty of motors and bicycles rental shops. There is also a bus stop (100 meters away) that can take you to the wonderful beaches of “Agia Paraskeui” and “Agious Anargirous”.
Spetses is an island rich in cultural tradition and shipbuilding, has an unusual charm, cosmopolitan, elegant, with Palio Limani (the old port), a beautiful seaside of Aghios Nikolaos with its cathedral, the best viewpoint of the island, with stylish restaurants and bars, and Dapia the new port full of life, with fine shops, taverns and cafeterias.
From Athens International Airport (ATH) by car: Athens International Airport "Eleftherios Venizelos" is located in Spata, 33 km southeast of Athens. The small harbour of Costa is connected with Athens by the Athens–Korinthos “E94” national road and the Korinthos–Epidaurus (Epidavros) country road. In Costa there are small boats that can reach the Island of Spetses in 10 minutes. In Costa there are also 2 big parking areas, where the car can be left with safety. These small boats are available 24 hours per day.
From Piraeus port by hydrofoil: Piraeus is the major port in Greece located 48 km from the Athens International Airport "Eleftherios Venizelos". Piraeus is connected with the Airport via Attica avenue and Kifisos avenue. There are hydrofoils connecting Spetses to Piraeus. The trip from Piraeus to Spetses by hydrofoil is about 2 hours. There are no normal ferries doing their itinerary, only hydrofoils, which means that no cars are allowed to board the ferry.
The historic island of Spetses is famous for its significant contribution to the 1821 War of Independence. The well-preserved buildings give the island a unique character traveling the guest to the past. A romantic stroll through the narrow cobbled streets of the island will give the traveler peace of mind.
In the 15th Century, the Venetians named the island Spezia ("Spice") for its position on a major traderoute; over time the name was Hellenised to "Spetsai". During the conquest of the Peloponnese from the Turks and the Venetian expulsion, many Christian Albanians took refuge in Spetses in order to escape Turkish persecution. These refugees created the old village of Spetses, in the area of Kastelli, which is fortified by a wall that reinforces the natural protection provided by the terrain. Over the years the island developed a significant naval power. The Greek Coalition in cooperation with the Russians in the Russian-Turkish war in 1768–1774 turned the powerful merchant fleet of Spetses to a significant power against the Turks during the so-called Orlofika. In response to these events the Turks destroyed the only village on the island in 1770.
For some years after the destruction of the island it remained deserted, but was re-occupied in 1774 by new settlers from the opposite coast of Peloponnese after the Treaty of Küçük Kaynarca that allowed the Russian free movement of ships in the Mediterranean and the recreation of the powerful commercial fleet by using the Russian flag to establish trade routes with neighbouring countries. Merchant seafaring was the only source of livelihood for many rocky, non-arable Greek islands, and the brisk Mediterranean and Black Sea trade of the 18th and 19th centuries allowed them to prosper – especially and spectacularly so during the trade embargoes of the Napoleonic Wars, which found Greek merchantmen and crews willing and able work with, or against, both belligerent sides at tremendous profit.After the re-occupation of Spetses the settlement began to expand beyond the Kastelli region and brought about further growth in the maritime economic activities of the island.
From 1821, the island played an important role in the Greek War of Independence and was the home of celebrated war heroine Bouboulina. Spetses was the first of the Greek islands that raised the flag of Revolution the morning of 3 April (O.S.) 1821. Its fleet, consisting of merchant ships, played a key role in the struggle, both by participating in raids against the Turkish coast and the exclusion of fortresses in the Peloponnese. Particularly important is the involvement of the Spetsiote fleet in sieges of the fortresses of Nafplion and Monemvasia and naval battles of Samos (1824) and Kafireas (1825). Along with their counterparts in nearby Hydra Island, Spetsiote captains were so wealthy they had been hoarding their gold in wells, a wealth that they tapped to fund the war of liberation.
• The House of Bouboulina: Built around the end of the 17th Century, the building is shaped like a Π, a detail which at that time indicated the importance of the owner. Bouboulina was a heroine that played a significant role in the 1821 War of Independence. Visit her house, which now operates as a museum to admire its wood-carved Florentine ceiling, 18th and 19th century furniture, interesting collection of old weapons, fine porcelain and rare books.
• The House of Hatzigiannis Mexis: Today the house hosts a museum exhibiting relics from the War of Independence, letters written by war heroes like Kolokotronis and Athanasios Diakos, a folk art collection and the relics of Bouboulina. The house was built between 1795 and 1798, and was donated to the Greek state in 1938 by the heirs of the Mexis family. The objects on display represent more than 4,000 years of the island’s history.
• Church of Panayia Armata: This rural church was built between 1824 and 1830 to honour the victory of the Greek warriors against the Ottoman fleet.
• Cathedral of Ayios Nikolaos: The island’s Cathedral is of great historical importance as it was here where the island’s Independence flag was raised on 3rd April 1821. It was also here where the dead body of Paul Bonaparte, nephew of Napoleon Bonaparte who came to Greece to fight on the side of Greeks, was kept in a barrel of rum for three whole years.
• Ayioi Anargyroi: One of the largest beaches on the southwest of the island with clean and deep waters. It offers also water sport facilities.
• Ayia Paraskevi: A sandy beach situated on the west part of the island, 12 km away from Dápia. It took its name from the near-by chapel of Ayia Paraskevi. Water sport facilities are also available.
• Ayia Marina: 2 km south-east of Dapia, this is the most famous beach of the island! Sandy, organized with many beach bars, and restaurants. Sun lovers as well as water sport funs arrive here either by boat or by bus.
• Xylokériza: A secluded beach 8 km from Dapia, on the south-eastern part of the island, mainly accessible by boat.
• Vréllos: A beautiful sandy beach on the west part of the island. Surrounded by a dense pine forest, it’s no wonder it is called “Paradise”. The beach is also an ideal starting point for following a beautiful walking route towards Profitis Elias, the highest spot of the island.
• Zogeriá:With pine trees that stretch down to the beach and azure waters, the locals consider it the most beautiful beach on the island. Weather permitting, you can enjoy a breathtaking view all the way to Nafplio.
There’s plenty of nightlife on Spetses, with bars, discos, and bouzouki clubs from the Dapia to the Old Harbor to Ayia Marina, and even the more remote beaches.
|April 10 – April 17||€ 3,220 per week|
|April 18 – May 31||€ 2,820 per week|
|June 1 – June 30||€ 3,060 per week|
|July 1 – July 31||€ 3,220 per week|
|August 1 – August 31||€ 3,620 per week|
|September 1 – November 30||€ 2,820 per week|
• House cleaning twice a week
• Change of sheets & towels twice a week
• Towels or linens are not to be taken from the Property
• Bicycle/Motor Rental(upon request)
• Pets are permitted only with prior approval
• Approval for rent and controlled by National Tourism Organization (EOT)
• ΕΟΤ ΜΗΤΕ: 0262Κ92000289001